why not leave the Kubuntu and Ubuntu at whatever... say 800x600 and then get to the gui login screen via tightvnc? You don't have to worry about starting the vmware console or even pressing ctrl-alt to release the cursor. It's very smooth and the cursor just flows between vmware screens and your screen.

Give me a holler if you want some configs.
Ben

Howard Lowndes wrote:
I have a small problem with running Ubuntu and Kubuntu under VMware.

By default, both of these start up during boot with a 1024x768 resolution window, which doesn't fit well on a 1024x768 screen (my lappy). When Ubuntu (reconfigured to 800x600) finally settles down it does to as a 800x600 window. Kubuntu, however (reconfigured to 800x600), settles down as a 800x600 screen in a 1024x768 window, which look very messy.

Does anyone know what/where the settings are that determine the initial window size as the guest system boots? I've looked in most likely places and config files in VMware and ~/.vmware, but can find nothing that looks liable.