Hi
The only way that I've been able to install ubuntu on my pentium-m laptop is
this bizare sequence:

1) Install server on laptop
   After install boot fails with a register dump
2) install server on a desktop machine
3) apt-get the generic image (not the server!)
4) boot the lappie on knoppix.
   copy the generic kernel, initrd, modules from desktop
5) boot the lappie, install ubuntu-desktop

OK nearly all good

apt-get the latest generic kernel fails (mkinitramfs tools dependencies)

The real problem is that despite wearing all desktop clothes the lappie
'knows' it's a server.
How, where do I change the personality from server to desktop?

BTW the problem is common to 6.06, 6.10 and feisty-beta
In every case live CD boots, displays a screen about gnome-error (message,
network ?) and there is a pretty desktop, mouse-that-moves and is
unresponsive to anything else eg install (icon highlights, click does pretty
much nothing.

This lappy installs SuSE 10.2 without any fuss, and as a server seems to run
perfectly (with the hand-crafted generic kernel, the server kernel gives a
register dump)

James