On Wed, Apr 11, 2007 at 08:31:41 +1000, Craig Warner wrote:

Hi Craig,

> Can someone point out what I need to do?

I don't know how FC6 differs from Ubuntu, but in the hope that it's
similar enough that it'll just work, here's all I had to do to get an
Epson scanner working on Ubuntu (dapper):

    install libsane, sane and sane-utils
    edit /etc/sane.d/saned.conf to allow scanning from my subnet
    edit /etc/sane.d/dll.conf to uncomment the "net" and "epson"
        backends and comment out all the others
    create /etc/xinetd.d/saned to run /usr/sbin/saned on port 6566
        (sane-port)
    restart xinetd

I then had trouble with remote hosts being able to automatically find
the scanner, so after a few hours of trying everything I could think of,
I eventually got it to work properly only in debug mode and only if not
run via xinetd.  So, I disabled service via xinetd and wrote a script
which continually ran saned in debug mode:

    #/bin/sh
    cd /tmp
    while /bin/true
    do
        /usr/sbin/saned -d0 >/dev/null 2>&1
    done

and I start that from /etc/rc.local with:

    su saned /usr/local/sbin/saned &

Cheers,

John
--
'Sabotage In The American Workplace' would have a REMARKABLY short chapter
on the substance of a.s.r and a.t-s.r - a lot of one-line entries saying