Rev Simon Rumble wrote:

> Is there such a device as a "video card" that is actually a terminal
> server?

There used to be a card called a PC Weasel 2000. Haven't heard from
them for a while.  Worse still, I think it was a ISA card.

Most manufacturers now offer a remote access card for their
server range. Not all of them work well <gdt waves at Dell>,
so check the vibe on the mailing lists.

Serial console would seem to be your best bet.  I took some
notes on this a few years ago, the Linux documentation project
has them as the Remote-Serial-Console-HOWTO.

If the machine doesn't have a serial port and you don't want
to install one, then the USB port can also be used, but
later in the boot sequence.

The ethernet logging is also very fine, and activates very
early in the Linux boot sequence. If fact, I'd encourage
using that for any Linux machine, as it's good at catching panic
messages into your syslog server.

Cheers, Glen