I found this that sometimes fixes my USB memory stick. It lives in a file on my desktop and I cut and paste it into a terminal to get a module loaded that has been unloaded for some reason.

#if usb disk doesnt work try this command in terminal.

$sudo modprobe -r ehci_hcd

Ken

Geoffrey Cowling wrote:
I would be very grateful if someone could help me on this.  I know it
is not at the level usual in this forum, but I have tried everywhere I
can online, and the the same problem is ascribed to 2.6 ker5nels--and
I have sarge.  And besides it is a case of "stopped working" and not
never worked.

mounting /dev/sda1 /...  worked until now.  Now it does not, and
with attaching a mass storage device I get
usb.c: USB device not accepting new address=1 (error=-110
until I remove it:
usb.c: USB device not accepting new address=63 (error=-110

Attempting to mount gets
mount: /dev/sda1 is not a valid block device

Might it be a hardware failure? USB Keys still work under (shudder) Windows.

Sorry to butt in, but I would be very grateful for any suggestions.
(The technician I take it too is bewildered by Linux).

Geoffrey Cowling