David Lloyd wrote:

Phil,

A hint for my own problem: it may have been caused by a badly configured mdadm.conf file (and this may well be the first time the system was rebooted since generating the mdadm.conf file).

Answering my own question: RTFM in 3 steps:
1. man mkfs.jfs and note that the jfs file system check utility is jfs_fsck
2. man jfs_fsck and then execute jfs_fsck /dev/md2
3. mount it

Hmmmm....someone feels like an idiot...

And when making software RAID, check that it works with as little data as possible so that when you do put your terabytes of *cough* pictures and movies *cough* on it, you won't lose it when you do reboot for whatever reason.

Indeed a good idea. In this case I hadn't put all that much on it - just under 5GB, all of which I have other backups of still.

On second thought though, and after looking through the logs, I don't think the mdadm.conf was misconfigured, as it found md2 fine according to the logs on reboot. I think it was a simple matter of corruption in the fs tables or bad superblock or some other jfs corruption caused by sudden drop out. I guess another good idea is to protect with a UPS of some sort - they are relatively cheap (compared to losing all the data) and only need offer a minute or 2 up time to be able to unmount the partition correctly and shutdown.

Fil