On Thu, 17 May 2007 14:20:33 +1000, Erik de Castro Lopo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a motherboard with two identical (apart from the MAC addresses
> of course) ethernet interfaces. The two MAC addresses are consectutively
> numbered; XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:34 and XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:35.
>
> On most reboots, the interface with the 34 MAC address becomes eth2
> and the other becomes eth3, but very occasionally they get swapped
> around which rather screws things up.
>
> Is there any way to lock a MAC address to an interface name?

There certainly is, though it varies on distro.

In debian/ubuntu, you put a hwaddress entry into the interfaces line.
e.g.
iface eth0 inet static
address 10.206.60.107
netmask 255.255.0.0
gateway 10.206.100.250
hardware XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:34

I'm fairly sure the same type of thing applies in the ifcfg-XXX world of redhat
derivatives

greeno
--
Tony Green <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>