On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 19:30:53 +1000
Chris Allen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I am planning to upgrade from UBUNTU 6.6 directly to 7.4
> I understand this must be done as a "new" install rather than an update.
>
> I do not want to lose my emails on Evolution 2.6.1.
> What is the best way to back up / restore them for this exercise?
>
> Once before (FC5 to Ubuntu 6.6), I tried to do this by loading the the
> saved files directly into the Evolution directories (didn't work).  I am
> reluctant to try that again.
>
> I can see a reference to importing data for "external" sources bu
> nothing about an equivalent export function.
>
> --
> Chris Allen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> --

or you could do the upgrade Ubuntu 6.06-> 6.10 -> 7.04

http://easylinux.info/wiki/Ubuntu:Edgy#How_to_upgrade_from_Hoary_Hedgehog_-.3E_Breezy_Badger_-.3E_Dapper_Drake

I have done this, from Hoary to Breezy and Breezy to Edgy on different
machines, and preserved settings and mail.
I stayed at Edgy (6.10) as 7.04 didn't have all the aps I use - yet.
Avoid: net install - depending on bandwidth, its  tedious and in one case as it
couldn't find cdrom, bailed halfway and left a mixed distro mess.
I recommend downloading the iso, mounting it as a loopback device for a speedy
install.
To mount: sudo mount -o loop -t iso9660 /location/of/iso/ubuntu-6.06-xxxx.iso
/media/cdrom0
Note: to prevent the iso been unmounted by the kernel, which after a while it
will, change directory into the iso tree, eg cd /media/cdrom0/pool.
Add the iso to the apt-get sources.list by apt-cdrom: sudo apt-cdrom -m -d add
Back up your existing system,
Then do the upgrade.
When your finished: to regain the cdrom back from the iso - unmount the iso, it
will also be unmounted with the next reboot.
cheers

Please, if possible, don't send me MS Word or Powerpoint attachments.
Send plain text, rich text format, html, or pdf instead.
Why? See: http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/sylvester-response.html