This could happen because of simply plugging the mouse into the keyboard socket and vice-versa. Why not simplify the problem and have only one hard disk and no CDROM, or change the HDD. Change the memory chips, and only put in one known good one. Even just try to boot off a floppy with no HDD, etc.
Any error messages or beeps?
Ben

Howard Lowndes wrote:
I have a machine on the bench that has been stalling at various times during the day after having loaded the OS.

Now it is consistently stalling at the end of the POST process when it has displayed the AMIBIOS data table and the locations of the SDRAM, and when it should next be starting to look on the drives for an OS. It has identified the IDE drives correctly so that tells me that the IDE bus is functioning correctly, but it appears to be unable to seek for an OS on the drives that it has just found, HDD or CDROM.

Am I right in suspecting that this is a BIOS problem, and basically I am looking at a new mobo/CPU/RAM - it is about 7 years old anyway judging by the stated AMIBIOS date.