people love flash based video, youtube is like crack

Dean

Marghanita da Cruz wrote:
Dean Hamstead wrote:
http://australianscreen.com.au/help/

some may be happy to note that in the FAQ w3c standards compliance is mentioned, ie, safari and ff are listed as should work perfectly. lynx even gets a mention

quicktime, miro and vlc are mentioned as possible media players

so there is a win for standards and open source.

Not quite...

What software do I need to view the video clips?

The clips embedded in the web pages require Adobe Flash Player version 7 or
better.....

The downloadable clips are provided at a higher quality,
and use a newer format called H.264 Mpeg 4.
http://australianscreen.com.au/help/

While, there is a Free Flash Player available for Linux - I don't think it
is open source.

With regard to MPEG4 and H.264 see
If operating and/or shipping a product in a country or group of countries where none of the patents covering H.264 apply, then using, for example, an LGPL implementation of the codec is not a problem:
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.264#Patent_licensing>

But ofcourse providing online free access to the content is a great leap forward...<http://australianscreen.com.au/about/terms/>