On Wed, 2007-08-08 at 18:22 +1000, Sonia Hamilton wrote:
> * On Wed, Aug 08, 2007 at 08:21:42AM +1000, Alex Samad wrote:
> > I have a domain that is has its primary at dyndns.org.  say example.com.
> > when
> > I am at home I would like my internal DNS server to service example.com by
> > making a request to the proper NS servers.  But for 1 or 2 select names ie
> > say
> > mail.example.com I would like my internal DNS to return values that I
> > specify.

You are out of luck with the standard tools. Name servers pretty much
treat all records within a zone similarly.

What you could do is to put those "select names" in their own zone, say
srv.example.com. Then you can use views to give differing answers
for the srv.example.com zone from inside addresses and from outside
addresses. Queries for your example.com zone would pass through
without drama.

Named does have a backends system, where you can do untold evil.
I wouldn't recommend that approach though, since you could shoot
yourself in the foot pretty readily.  But a quick look at the
competiting software's backend arrangements would be worth the
short Google.

Best of luck, Glen