It's a bug (found with "The Google", 'ubuntu nvidia version module')
Discussion in forums
Bug
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-restricted-modules-2.6.20/+bug/106217

remove the hidden file
/lib/linux-restricted-modules/.nvidia_new_installed

and then install the appropriate nvidia-glx package

Just replying to this thread. Also relates to
'Nvidia problem - The continuing saga'

--
Steve