On Monday 10 September 2007 07:47, Dean Hamstead wrote:
> did you try another linux dist install cd?
>
> how far through does the kernel boot get?
>
> Dean
>
> On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 13:10:44 +0000, Malcolm Johnston
>
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > On trying to install an already set-up version of Slackware 11 (it is
> > running in an Athlon XP (761) box), from a bootable CD-ROM I got the
> > message "Kernel Panic" and the the machine hung.  Does anyone have any
> > idea of why this might be happening.  I have personally done about 10
> > Linux installations, and, while there have been occasional problems
> > (usually to do with specific cards or drivers) I have not encountered
> > anything like this before.  (Incidentally, the Windows installation was
> > OK).  Normally, as I understand it, Linux will, maybe with a little
> > tweaking, run on anything Windows will.
> >
> > Suggestions would be very welcome, as I do not want to risk damaging my
> > hardware until I have a better idea of what is going on.  I can find
> > nothing on the net which helps: even the address of a discussion group
> > would be a benefit.
> >
> > Malcolm Johnston
> > --
It got to the "boot:" prompt then shot off about ten more lines of what looked
like reasonable output before the "Kernel panic" and stoppage.  The CD
(writable) has been used, without problem to do an install on the Athlon
machine, where it was first used; given the right parameters, it also acts as
a bootdisk, so I think it is probably OK.  I was installing the "sata.i"
kernel, which is pretty much the default for IDE machines.  I did not have a
list of alternative kernels (I could have tried "bare.i", now that I remember
the name) so I didn't have the opportunity to try other kernels.  Still, they
should not be necessary, as this is a pretty straightforward piece of
hardware, with two hard drives, a floppy and the CD, which, though
theoretically writable, hasn't been set up yet for that purpose (it's
basically a matter of changing some link names and fooling the kernel into
the belief that it is dealing with a SCSI device).  Sorry I can't be more
informative about the output before the crash, but only the last line or two
had anything to do with crash announcements.  Kind of like those screen saver
parodies, "total hardware failure, press any key to resume".  My hardware
supplier has suggested we do a fake installation on another HD to see if
what,  if anything happens, is recoverable, but I'm trying to find out what I
can before we do.

Cheers,
Malcolm Johnston