Kevin Shackleton wrote:
An odd development in the last couple of days - xmms won't play any mp3s
for any user.  ie the play slider does not show a knob after I try to
start a play.  It's ok for root, so the relevant files are there.  Using
FC7

Starting from a command line there is no error message, nor is there
in /var/log/messages.

Any ideas about looking for the problem?  (solution-wise I do have Etch
discs ready to go . .)

My guess is you will find that the problem is that you need to give your user (non-root) account appropriate privileges to control the underlying hardware. I came across a similar problem with Kino - for controlling a Camcorder via the firewire port.

I doubt switching distros will help. I had the same problem on Breezy Badger and Knoppix and gave up trying to solve it. But if you do find the solution, I would be interested.

Marghanita da Cruz
http://www.ramin.com.au
Phone: (+61)0414 869202