Quoting Glen Turner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> On Sun, 2007-09-23 at 21:30 +1000, Minh Van Le wrote:
>
> > My idea is to install x2 quad port ethernet NICs in a Red Hat
> server to
> > compose the topology below.
>
> The topology is insane.  Don't worry about using all of the
> ports on the ADSL router -- it's only got 4 ports because
> cheap ethernet switch ASICs come with 4 ports and a uplink.

Yeah the topology seems unnecessarily complex ...

But I get additional flexibility with network segregation and experiments
with subnetting.

> Without a great deal of hassle you'll end up with all of
> your traffic going down one of the four Server-Router links,
> since all those links will necessarily be in the same subnet.
>
> To achieve what you want to do:
>  - configure the ADSL router as a ADSL bridge.

Wow I didn't even think about turning on bridge mode :)

Probably because I prefer not directly exposing a whole operating system to
the internet even if it's hardened & firewalled. Atleast with the ADSL modem
any software exposure is limited to firmware and all it does is NAT, whereas
hooking up a Linux PC to a modem in bridge mode sounds a lot riskier to me.

[...]

>  - configure fprobe-ulog (or similar) to generate NetFlow (IP
> traffic)
>    records from NAT
>  - configure flow-tools to collect and report flow information.
>  - configure ntop is you want something more interactive.

I plan on using pmacct (Promiscuous mode IP Accounting) with Cacti or
something.