On 9/27/07, Voytek Eymont <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I've installed courier authlib from source, subsequently, I built rpm and
> installed it (again) from the rpm,
> whats the best way to determine what got installed /remove whatever got
> installed  for source install ?
>
> going by below, the source installed to '/usr/local/sbin/'
>
> -----------
> # whereis authtest
> authtest: /usr/sbin/authtest /usr/local/sbin/authtest
> /usr/share/man/man1/authtest.1.gz
> # authtest voytek
> ERR: authdaemon: s_connect() failed: Connection refused
> Authentication FAILED: Illegal seek
> # /usr/sbin/authtest voytek
> Authentication succeeded.
> # /usr/local/sbin/authtest voytek
> ERR: authdaemon: s_connect() failed: Connection refused
> Authentication FAILED: Illegal seek

`rpm -ql <package>` will give you a listing of files belonging to the package.

There's no real easy way to work out where your source install sprayed
files on the filesystem. Your best bet would be to run configure and
change the --prefix to something like /tmp/authlib/, run a make
install, and see what files you get under there.

A combination of rpm, find and diff will give you a nice list of stuff
that's been overwritten or lingering between the two installs.

>From the output of your whereis command, i'm guessing when you run
authtest from the shell it's invoking /usr/local/sbin/authtest rather
than the one in /usr/sbin. Do a 'which authtest` on the shell to find
out for sure.

Your end goal is probably to remove the source install and just use
the rpm. To be sure I'd remove the rpm, do a `make uninstall`, and
reinstall the rpm.

Lindsay

--
http://slug.org.au/ (the Sydney Linux Users Group)