On Sat, Sep 29, 2007 at 03:42:54PM +1000, Matthew Hannigan wrote:
> http://code.google.com/p/exscript/
>
>     "Exscript is a scripting language for automating network
>     connections over protocols such as Telnet or SSH. It is
>     in some ways comparable to Expect, but has some unique
>     features that make it a lot easier to use and understand
>     for non-developers."

BTW, it's based on python and pexpect.

While I'm at it:

http://code.google.com/p/enchanter/

This is a java app.

    "Enchanter is a small library that helps you script
    SSH sessions in a manner similar to Expect. It comes
    in multiple flavors that support different scripting
    languages including Python, Ruby and BeanShell. This
    tool requires Java 5 or greater."

Its special feature is a "learning mode".  So I get that
might make it "modern" :-)