On Tue, 9 Oct 2007, Nick Croft wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm using latex to (re-)produce a technical manual which is typeset
> in a compact format, and I wish to keep close to the original
> formatting.
>
> The chapter style is quite simple but I can't find the way to modify
> any of the available packages to reproduce it.
>
> So far I've resorted to formatting the chapter heading in-line, as it
> occurs, rather that using a LaTeX technique.
>
> The look of the chapter heading is such that the 'chaptername' and
> 'chapternumber' in \small size, to the left, and the 'chaptertitle'
> is centered, in \LARGE small caps and bold.

I believe you need to use the "titlesec" package. Here is the code that
I used to colourise the section and subsection commands:

\titleformat*{\section}{\Large\bf\color{clrheadings}}
\titleformat*{\subsection}{\large\bf\color{clrheadings}}

This is the documentation on the package:
http://www.tex.ac.uk/tex-archive/macros/latex/contrib/titlesec/titlesec.pdf

Now when you use \section or \subsection then they will use the
perscribed style you defined.

This is a good faq that I use regarding your question:
http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=secthead

Or in general look at for future questions:
http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?introduction=yes

Regards
--
Joseph Goncalves