Voytek Eymont wrote:
On Mon, October 15, 2007 11:37 am, jam wrote:

thanks, James

should I use '--exec-prefix' or '--prefix' ?

is it just like below:

./configure --prefix= usr/bin

Installation directories:
  --prefix=PREFIX         install architecture-independent files in PREFIX
                          [/usr/local]
  --exec-prefix=EPREFIX   install architecture-dependent files in EPREFIX
                          [PREFIX]

As noted, --exec-prefix will default to the same thing as --prefix. So you only need to use --prefix. If you only set --exec-prefix, then --prefix will remain at the default (/usr/local) which in this case probably means the magic files will end up there. That's a bit confusing. I think --exec-prefix is designed for complex scenarios where you have multiple architectures supported in the same install tree, something that likely doesn't apply to you.

If it were up to me, I would use the default --prefix (/usr/local ) and install everything there. This way, the files in /usr/bin will remain "owned" by the package management system, and be updated when a fix comes out for the security issue you are trying to patch. Generally, /usr/local should be positioned before /usr/bin in your PATH (if not, you should fix this).

Hope this helps,
Jeremy Portzer