On Tue, Oct 23, 2007 at 12:48:59PM +1000, Matthew Hannigan wrote:
> There is no one right answer for this.  If it was me, other things
> being equal I'd install the latest fedora or ubuntu, because Redhat/Centos
> just doesn't have clamav and amavis as core packages (apparently)

Something worth mentioning is rpmfusion.  It's not here yet, but:
(from http://rpmfusion.org/Announce)

    The Dribble, Freshrpms and Livna teams, already joined by
    some Fedora contributors, are proud to announce the RPM
    Fusion project.

    RPM Fusion aims to bring together many packagers from
    various 3rd party repos and build a single add-on
    repository for Fedora and Red Hat Enterprise Linux.

    "Repositories and infrastructure will follow Fedora
    where possible. This means using Fedora's packaging
    guidelines (except for legal), Fedora's review process
    for new submissions, Fedora's VCS structure etc.

    It will contain add-on packages and not replacements
    in relation to the base package set. Whereby the base
    package set is defined as: RHEL/CentOS + EPEL or Fedora
    (Fedora 7+)."

That last para is particularly welcome.

Matt