This one time, at band camp, Simon Males wrote:

> This is the only time we're making the XO laptop
> available to the public and quantities are limited,

I have to say, this really does seem like a boneheaded idea.  Surely
it's in their interest to have loads of geeks buying these machines.

First it gets the volumes up, which brings the prices down and makes
the whole thing viable -- hell, they can even (as they are now) put a
substantial markup on it.  Second it creates a community of people
hacking on it, scratching itches and generally helping out.  Sure, they
might not all have an educational focus, but so what?

--
Rev Simon Rumble <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
www.rumble.net

The Tourist Engineer
Nerds need vacations too.
http://engineer.openguides.org/

 "To retain respect for sausages and laws, one must not
  watch them in the making."
- Otto von Bismarck