these two links might help

http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Bridge+Firewall.html

http://www.linux-foundation.org/en/Net:Bridge

Dean

Alex Samad wrote:
On Tue, Jan 08, 2008 at 06:53:51AM +0000, Visser, Martin wrote:
This won't work if it is a network with a dumb (cheap/unmanaged) switch. (An
old dumb hub/repeater would be fine but almost no one uses these nowdays).

You really either need to get access to the gateway (and even then it may not
support any decent stats or raw capture) or have a switch that supports port
mirroring (where it makes a copy of all the traffic on all ports to a
particular nominated port).

or get a linux box with 2 nic and bridge between the switch and then gateway
There is a "bad" (read crackers) tool called ettercap which can trick all your
hosts to send their traffic to another other host by spoofing ARP responses, but in my
opinion it will generally degrade your network and hence interfere in your measurement,
so you probably should ignore this.

Martin Visser

Technology Consultant
Technology Solutions Group - HP Services

410 Concord Road
Rhodes NSW  2138
Australia

Mobile: +61-411-254-513
Fax: +61-2-9022-1800
E-mail: martin.visserAThp.com

This email (including any attachments) is intended only for the use of the
individual or entity named above and may contain information that is
confidential, proprietary or privileged. If you are not the intended recipient,
please notify HP immediately by return email and then delete the email, destroy
any printed copy and do not disclose or use the information in it.