Hi,

I have that modem with TPG and I have linux web servers. All works well.

Only problem with TPG and VOIP is that there is an echo on the line. Very annoying sometimes to people who you call.

Ben

elliott-brennan wrote:
Hi all,

I'm with TPG and thinking of using their VOIP service. To do so I'll need to get an NB9W - my current modem only has one port and no phone port.

Apparently the NB9w uses an SPI firewall.

Wikipedia lists the following pitfall:

"Microsoft's latest operating system, Windows Vista, uses TCP window scaling for non-http (web) connections. So do Linux kernels from versions 2.6.8 on. This behavior is incompatible with some firewalls that use SPI (Stateful Packet Inspection) as found in routers like the Checkpoint NG R55, Cisco PIX and IOS, NetApp Cache Appliances, SonicWall, D-Link DI-724U, Netgear WGR614, and Linksys WRT54GS. [1] This may be related to previous failures to work properly. Pre-released (beta) versions of Vista allegedly had more problems, including failed http (web) connections through SPI firewalls.[2]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stateful_firewall#Pitfalls

I've searched the Ubuntu forum and searched a little further, but come up with nothing specific.

Does anyone know if this information is accurate, or out-of-date?

Thanks for any information or referral.

Regards,

Patrick