On Sat, February 2, 2008 12:37, Sonia Hamilton wrote:
> I'm doing some volunteer work with a non-profit (in Guatemala), and they
> want me to set up a small Asterisk server (as they've been waiting 2
> weeks for the PABX serviceman to come out and he charges $US75/hr -
> expensive for a 3rd world country).
>
> I just want to check with the Asterisk 'experts' that I'm on the right
> track with hardware:
>
> * they have 3 analog phone lines, which would therefore require a PCI
> card with 3 FXO modules?

Correct.  They are the red modules, the FXS modules are green.  The
populated product number is TDM03B.  That is the TDM400P card complete
with 0 FXS modules and the 3 FXO modules.

> * at the high end, I've recommended a "Digium Wildcard TDM400P" with 4 x
> FXO's ($US421) - does this sound right?

I have had no problems with genuine Digium products.

> * at the low end, I've recommended a "X100P FXO PCI" ($US29.95) - does
> this sound right?

I have heard reports of problems with this product, but no personal
experience.

> Comments about the above hardware, or recommendations for cheaper/better
> hardware?
>
> I'm aware of the goodness of "echo cancellation", "a decent server" and
> an FXS module for connecting an analog handset for emergencies

I assume that you will be using digital handsets.  You might need a FXS
module on the card to drive a fax, or as you say, an analoge handset.  The
populated product number then becomes TDM13B.

As this is Guatamala then there is no ACMA problem, but in AU you would
have to buy them from a source that has A-tick approvals; I use
http://www.austechpartnerships.com/atp/

 - I think
> it's going to be a process of showing them what Asterisk can do, then
> getting money for a proper server/addins/cards/etc.

Getting the dial plan right can be a bit mind bending  :)  Glad to help as
I am about off to do a similar project in Nepal.

> --
> Sonia Hamilton
> blog: http://SoniaHamilton.wordpress.com
>
> --

Howard
LANNet Computing Associates <http://lannet.com.au>
When you want a computer system that works, just choose Linux;
When you want a computer system that works, just, choose Microsoft.