On Mon, 2008-02-04 at 11:48 +1100, Voytek Eymont wrote:
> from a user perspective, his browser url stays as
> 'adomain.org.au/whatever', so, the user is not even aware he is accessing
> another domain
>
> what would it need on remote server to actually 'switch' to the the remote
> server's domain name ? (fully qualified base url thing...?)

Yep, as Alex suggested, a HTTP redirect is what you need.

Because you said that if you navigate via either domain you get the same
site, you're most likely not using virtual hosts, so you can use
mod_rewrite to acheive the redirect:

httpd.conf:
        <IfModule !mod_rewrite.c>
                LoadModule rewrite_module modules/mod_rewrite.so
        </IfModule>
        <IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
                RewriteEngine On
                RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^.*olddomain\.com$ [NC]
                RewriteRule ^(.*)$ http://newdomain.com/$1 [R=301,L]
        </IfModule>

Note: I didn't test the above, so your mileage may vary.