Brad Thomson wrote:
It's not only the data retention requirements that feature in this type of software, but depending on the exact nature of what the business does, ongoing funding compliance.

I have just come off the back of a painful 5 months facilitating the introduction of an industry-specific, proprietary solution for a large nursing home on the Central Coast, and have seen failure within the software result in the business not being able to provide supporting evidence for their funding claims for particular classes of residents.

I believe that we could have coded equivalent functionality, or modified an existing package in a shorter timeframe than has proved the case in working with the vendor to fix the problems, but unfortunately we're not able to spend the tens if not hundreds of thousands of dollars to ensure that we meet all legal obligations.
Again this is a finance thing between the nursing homes and the government funders. The documentation relates to the level of care that the nursing home patient requires and increasing levels attract increasing funds. The formula covers areas such as dementia and incontinence. Doctors regard most of this documentation as of limited value to their clinical assessments.

The information doctors want and need is not dictated by government legislation. Open source developers have a free hand. They just have to keep the doctors happy.

David