On Wed, 2008-03-12 at 16:18 +1100, Rev Simon Rumble wrote:
> "ABC website users will soon be able to watch TV shows in full-screen
> format."
> http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008/03/12/2187599.htm
>
> The link on the front page to register for "ABC Playback"
> (http://www.abc.net.au/playback/) doesn't work.
>
> Certainly if the experience with "ABC Now" is anything to go by, this is
> going to be Windows-only with limited Mac support and no other OS
> support.
>
> http://www.abc.net.au/now/#faq16
>
> This page might be helpful:
> http://www.abc.net.au/contact/complaints_process.htm
>
> Not sure how one requests a refund.

This is the response I got from the ABC when I queried them about this
back in December.

Dear James,

Thank you for your message regarding ABC Now.  ABC Now does have a
little similarity to the BBC's iPlayer but is not intended to be the
same service - instead we offer a way for our audience to aggregate a
selection of our most current radio, TV, news, sport and weather
content into a small desktop application.

With regard to your query regarding a Linux version - due to the
technical requirements of ABC Now we have been unable to find a
robust and secure tool for making the Flash based code into a stable
Linux version at this time.

We are keeping an eye on developments in this area and hope to bring
a Linux version to you as soon as practicable.

In terms of our use of Real Player with ABC Now - our audience has
the choice to use either Real Player or Windows Media to listen to
live radio via ABC Now, and this is because we are aggregating live
streams from around ABC Online which use these formats.  In the
future we are hoping that all live streams will be offered in mp3
format so that we can drop the need for Real/Windows from ABC Now but
this is yet to be resolved.  We've passed your feedback regarding
this issue onto our production team and technical staff.

Kind regards,
The ABC Now team.