On Sun, Mar 30, 2008 at 4:49 PM, Sonia Hamilton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> And a very OT question related to this. Whenever one connects to mysql
> via localhost, mysql will use the local socket rather than connecting
> via tcp. This obviously fubar's when one has got localhost connected to
> an ssh tunnel. Anyway around this? There's a mysql option
> 'protocol=tcp', but it doesn't appear to work. There's an angst filled
> bug post about it here: http://bugs.mysql.com/bug.php?id=31577

Another of those nitty-gritty details that gives me "php deja-vu" when I
deal with MySQL - it treats the string "localhost" specially to use the
unix-domain socket (which is probably faster, what with all the tcp/ip
layers being left out of the equation).

Using "127.0.0.1" explicitly instead of "localhost" overcomes this.

--Amos