Sonia Hamilton wrote:

> When a tcp (or udp) connection is setup, the client is allocated a
> source port - a so-called ephemeral port (this can be seen in the Local
> Address column of netstat).
>
> Out of interest, I wouldn't mind looking at the code that
> pseudo-randomly allocates this port number. Can anyone point me in the
> direction of the directory (or even file) I should look at? I'm not
> very familiar with the layout of the kernel code.

LXR (Linux Cross Reference) is a really good resource:

    http://lxr.linux.no/linux

Searching for ephemeral results in (among others):

    http://lxr.linux.no/linux/drivers/char/random.c#L1567

which I think may be what you are looking for.

The hard way to do this of course would be just grab an unzip a source
code tarball, cd into it and then:

   grep -r ephemeral .

and see where that leads you.

Have fun :-).