<quote who="Richard Heycock">

> Is it possible to use ssh as a type of dynamic vpn so that when I connect
> to a remote machine the remote machine has access to the initiating
> machine?

See the man page section for the -R option to map a remote port to a local
port. It complements the -L option, which does the opposite. I don't believe
there's a reverse analogue to the -D option though (SOCKS proxy through the
remote end), so you're stuck with port mapping.

You can also do sick stuff like ppp-over-ssh.

Or sensible stuff like OpenVPN.

:-)

- Jeff

--
OSCON 2008: Portland OR, USA           http://conferences.oreilly.com/oscon/

   "I believe in true love. But I am easily satisfied." - Miguel de Icaza