Yes hi Marghanita,

Well the 2020 conference was a big surprise to me... actually asking australian young people what they want..... jeeze ... did that catch me off guard... :-)

If I am not mistaken we've never had this level of democracy in this country ever ...

My reading of your link leaves me a bit unclear as to what you wish to achieve.

Not sure if you know but in the NSW Department of Commerce there is a section known as GCIO, Government Chief Information Office. They are charged with making recommendations of technology to various NSW Departments.

I know when I worked there, their PCs were so locked down, that all they were really good for was a web-browser and an email client. Something that linux could do just as well.

Unfortunately, there was a big bias against local companies and products when I was there.

I think the people in our Government really enjoy a trip off to Britain or Germany or the United States to buy stuff. Especially when they don't need to declare any of the wining and dining that they receive to icac. :-) "No - received nothing - i just went out with friends". Yeah - right.

In other countries, Government people work more closely with their local industry to develop core products that will advance everybodies cause.

There are enough companies and enough people associated through the Sydney Linux User Group to push for change within our local Government.

Moving some Linux development to young people in Universities is the kind of thing that you find in Germany and the United States. One would hope that places such as the Department of Commerce would try to facilitate that but they are not quite up to it - yet.

Like I said, Government requirements for computing operating systems are not that big. A browser, file manager and an email client, and some other things would certainly do it.

The real cost is what to do with the left over Australian public servants who will lose their free wine-dine and girly-bar passes in washington, san-Fransisco and London.

And chears to Kevin Rudd.. who actually trained in China... was busted at a girly bar on the west coast a few years ago... . The twist - so unusual for australian politicians is that when they tried to blackmail him to get his life loyalty (essential for any up coming leader of the australian public service) - Kevin just left them in his smoke...

After that.... he was able to come back to Australia and actually ask what is in the interests of Australian young people.... amazing really..

That we finally have a mature prime-minister and not a totally corrupted stooge is an amazing accomplishment... Whilst maybe not perfect.. it's a big step..

The truth is that if enough people lobbied Government in Australia.. from a Linux perspective... a lot more should be possible...

Anyway... I head back to Germany in a few days... and observe the way they do things and get more reports on what our wayward public servants are up to in europe on their fact finding and purchasing missions....

David

Quoting Marghanita da Cruz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

Results are here:
<http://www.ramin.com.au/itgovernance/straw-poll-ICT-roles-responsibilities.shtml>

further comments welcome.

Marghanita