hi everybody !

in answer to question "how to back up files from a Windows 2003 Small
Business Server ?"
i would suggest, in addition to your solutions,  to try bacula, from
http://www.bacula.org , which runs pretty on every system, with GUIs and web
interfaces, a great solution.

another would be FREENAS , an entire Linux OS dedicated to backups. from
http://www.freenas.org/
it runs also on a virtual machine or obviously installed, and is great since
it integrates in Active Diretory, seamless RAID configuration, and rsync,
whose clients are available also for windows.

so, both solutions are good candidates to a backup machine, which acts as
NAS, and can inherit AD policies.
you can then automate (also by GUIs) your policies, but sure, a little
scripting can always help !!

bye and sorry for late posting, HTH however.
Massimiliano Fantuzzi

On Thu, Jan 10, 2008 at 6:09 PM, Kelvin Nicholson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Lee:
>
> In my opinion it depends on your goals.  It would be easy enough to
> setup a Linux box with Samba, map a share called e.g. 'Backup', and then
> use ntbackup to schedule routine backups to that share.  Although
> ntbackup is quite basic, it would fit the requirements you outlined, and
> cover you to a limited extent.
>
> Alternatively, you could take your pick of backup software for Windows
> (Backup Exec, ShadowProtect...) and use that to backup to the shared
> drive.
>
> That's what I have done/would do at least.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Kelvin
>

> On Thu, 2008-01-10 at 14:50 +0200, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > Hi there,
> >
> > I am not sure if this is possible.
> >
> > Is there away for a Linux PC to be able to back up files from a Windows
> > 2003 Small Business Server. I would prefer to use Ubuntu as it is quick
> > install but the backup application would need to have a gui and be able
> > do full and incremental backups.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Lee

> > South Africas premier free email service - www.webmail.co.za