Yes, I have always thought that there is something broken in the
mirror process.

My guess is that the mirror process works alphabettically through the
tree, hence .../ubuntu/dists/<release>/main/<arch>/Packages.* gets
mirrored before .../ubuntu/pool/main/<dir>/*.deb does. Hence there is
a pretty good chance you will be trying to update packages that aren't
available yet.

Maybe I have that wrong (LazyWeb please illuminate) but I still wonder
why it sometime Just Doesn't Work (TM) ;-)

Martin