From: Mary Gardiner [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 23 May 2008 13:19
To: slug@slug.org.au
Subject: [SLUG] Ubuntu drive designations (Re: update to Hardy)

On Fri, May 23, 2008, bill wrote:
> As I often swap drives around this is a real pain.

Ideally the system should be using drive UUIDs to identify partitions
now rather than the dsXX and hdXX identifiers although I think in some
circumstances one might not be able to. Does /etc/fstab look like this:

UUID=b6c863a3-f68c-4b7f-a7b7-07e19d671903 /home ext3 defaults,errors=remount-ro
0       1

or like this:'

/dev/sda3 /home ext3 defaults,errors=remount-ro 0       1

Does /boot/grub/menu.1st have a line like this:

kopt=root=UUID=b6c863a3-f68c-4b7f-a7b7-07e19d671903
resume=UUID=0d6f4ee5-c312-42b1-a543-5f0f9f040eff ro

or does it use /dev/[hs]dXX? (Or do you not use grub?)

The idea of the UUID= identifiers for partitions rather than the dsXX
and hdXX identifiers is that they should only change after a reformat,
not when the kernel the way it addresses them.

You can find out a partition's UUID with the "vol_id -u [partition]"
command, eg:

$ sudo vol_id -u /dev/sda3
b6c863a3-f68c-4b7f-a7b7-07e19d671903

There is more info at https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UsingUUID