PATA is basically  the same as what you might have known as ATA or IDE
- with the wide 40 pin ribbon cable and header connector. (Yes you can
get round IDE cables but that is mainly aesthetics and airflow - the
connector is the same.

SATA is the new-fangled type of connector with a skinny flat cable
with only a dozen or so pins. (Google will give you pics and specs).

If your board is 4 years old, it almost certainly will be IDE (or PATA
as you say)

On Mon, May 26, 2008 at 11:03 AM, Alan L Tyree <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I need some advice. I'm running Debian Etch on a four year old box. I
> has (had) two disk drives, one of which dropped dead.
>
> Looking for new ones, I see P/ATA and S/ATA. Can I use either one of
> these, or do they require special motherboard support? How do I tell if
> my system supports either one?
>
> Thanks for help,
> Alan
>
> --
> Alan L Tyree                    http://www2.austlii.edu.au/~alan
> Tel:  04 2748 6206              Fax: +61 2 4782 7092
> FWD: 615662
> --

Regards, Martin

Martin Visser