Quoting Sonia Hamilton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

Can anyone recommend a simple text formatting language/package?

To explain a bit more: I want a formatting language that's text based
(so it's easier to keep track of diffs in source control, and editable
in vim), for doing stuff you'd usually do in Open Office Word Processor
- bullet points, bold/italic, tables, etc. I'd like output in pdf, so
it's easily printable cross-platform.

I've briefly thought about things like LaTeX, postscript and Docbook,
but they all seem overkill for what I want to do, and will take too
much time to learn.

Maybe have a look at xml and xslt...

Do your content in xml, then process it with xslt...

You would be surprised how many companies out there do their content in xml and then format it using one or more of a handful of different tools. The companies grow and grow and grow and I've seen them sold off for lots of money.

The time you 'invest' in learning then becomes a knowledge asset.

You can 'learn-slowly' with this stuff.. one good site is xmlpitstop.com