I'm not an Admin or anything, but assuming that there is not a new customer number for each email and that you have a separate Thunderbird Folder for each customer:-

Preferences/copies and Folders/"Place replies in folder of message being replied to"

I assume that Customer details are saved in the Address Book and could include their Customer Number (under Other?).

Of course none of this is of any use if you have Users who are incapable of actually being trained in using Thunderbird properly.

Otherwise, why not look at using a Browser-based email set-up such as ISPs usually have?

Just a couple of random thoughts

Bill

Re: [SLUG] Thunderbird addon?