Hi All,

I have a non-networking project that requires category 5/5e STP (not "UTP"!! - I *need* the shielded variety). No big deal, except I can't find anywhere that will sell it to me in arbitrary lengths. They all want to provide either a patch cable (that isn't long enough) or a bulk roll (>100m usually). I need approximately 15m - second hand is fine, stranded or solid core is not important; either will suffice.

For the curious; I'm re-wiring an electronic anemometer which has problems with interference from low frequency EMI. The system uses a high impedance, low voltage signalling technique over 2 pair "telephone" type cable (no shielding). The combination of no shielding and the low voltage+high impedance basically turns the cable run into a giant static discharge detector/antenna! This manifests itself with erroneous wind speed readings (usually high readings as the static/EMI results in additional pulses on the wire). The CAT5 STP will be used such that the shielded sheath, and striped wire from each pair will all be earthed, leaving the solid colour wire from each pair to replace the existing wires from the "telephone" cable.

Other people have made this modification to their anemometers (same model as mine) and it works flawlessly :) So please help out another geek: CAT5 STP anyone?!?

Cheers,

James