Some more info would help..

1. What Nvidia card model
2. What distro and version
3. Are you using the nv driver or the nvidia driver, if the later what
version ?

I have had a hell of a time with Kubuntu and my nvidia graphics card (GF 420)
that was until I discovered "envy". Envy downloads and installs the latest
nvidia driver for you (including compiling the driver against your kernel)
and even assists you to setup the Xorg.conf file.

Envy works with ATi and Nvidia cards and can be run from the command line or
graphically (although you still start it from the command line).

Richard

--
In this day and age of high technology often the best tool can be as simple as
a rock.