On Fri, 2008-06-20 at 07:57 +1000, Mary Gardiner wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 19, 2008, Sean Murphy wrote:
> > All,
> >
> > I am after a good Anti spam software program for Linux which is shell
> > based.  I am aware of Spam assassign.  But I would like to know if
> > there is anything else which is better?
>
> Better could mean a few things in the context of spam filtering, could
> you clarify which of these features is more important to you:
>
>  1. overall accuracy (false negatives and false positives)
>  2. fewest number of false negatives (spam that gets through to your
>     inbox)
>  3. fewest number of false positives (good mail that ends up marked as
>     spam)
>  4. good accuracy when in the default configuration, no twiddling
>     required
>  5. good for processing large volumes of mail without insane resources
>
> I use SpamAssassin and find it does really well, but it falls down at #4
> and #5. I have to train the Bayesian[1] classifiers on all my mail in order
> to get good-to-me accuracy, so I am certainly not relying on the default
> configuration. (I suspect I'd do just as well switching entirely to a
> Bayesian system, but since SpamAssassin is now doing fine I have not
> done so).
>
> And it's a resource hog, it sometimes takes 8 seconds to scan a mail on
> my OK-standard desktop system. So if you were receiving more than an
> email about every 8 seconds you'd be looking at performance tuning and
> additional less hoggy measures, or at alternatives. (Everything that
> processes the full body of an email is somewhat resource intensive, but
> I understand that SA is not great.)

I'm using Bogofilter (bayesian filter) to sort spam into "good", "bad"
or "unsure" at a user level. I've got a cron shell script that passes
manually sorted "unsure" email through the filter hourly for training
purposes and it works really well at the client level.

I don't know if there is a package to do that. I wrote the script
myself, which means that it is crude and simple :)

This doesn't stop spam... it just means you never have to read it.

David.