>From wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyper-threading):

Intel claims up to a 30% speed improvement compared against an otherwise
identical, non-simultaneous
multithreading<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simultaneous_multithreading>Pentium
4. The performance improvement seen is very application-dependent,
however, and some programs actually slow down slightly when Hyper Threading
Technology is turned on. This is due to the replay
system<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Replay_system>of the Pentium 4
tying up valuable execution resources, thereby starving the
other thread. (The Pentium 4 Prescott core gained a replay queue, which
reduces execution time needed for the replay system, but this is not enough
to completely overcome the performance hit.) However, any performance
degradation is unique to the Pentium 4 (due to various architectural
nuances), and is not characteristic of simultaneous
multithreading<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simultaneous_multithreading>in
general.

Brett Morgan http://brett.morgan.googlepages.com/