Quoting Del <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

So, who uses wireless broadband here?  I'm currently researching the
available alternatives and although Virgin appears the cheapest they
also appear to have limited coverage and none of the vendors provide
(a) Linux support or (b) an offer of your money back if you can't get
it working on Linux.

I actually don't have any wired internet - going only on 3's mobile internet.

No complaints about the service or cost ([EMAIL PROTECTED]/m) and it works fine at 110km/h while the wife is driving.

For using with Linux, one thing you should be aware of is that the vendors/carriers will know not much about the technology they are selling.

There are actually big changes here (in the last few months) technology wise, with new 3G routers becoming available. They work just like an adsl router only you plug in the sim card from your mobile phone. So I wouldn't imagine any difficulties running linux.

here is a link... to one example...

http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/index.php/taxid;345396484;pid;5301

Cheaper ones (generic) ones are available in Shenzhen/China and Taiwan.

Good thing about 3 is the roaming.. you can use the internet in HongKong, UK, Germany, France, Malaysia etc and it is soooo ssoooo much cheaper than pumping 1 euro coins into and internet cafe for 3 mins...... omg... how i hate that...

even with roaming rates on 3.... for me it's only 25-50c at a time...

but don't go over the download limit... then they hit ya real easy for an extra coupla hundred bucks..... oh well tax-deductible anyway....

Good Luck

David