Quoting Luke Vanderfluit <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

Ill be using mine to read pdfs.
Yes, its an alternative to an e reader for me, so weight is important.
Im not sure if its going to work out at all as such but Ill give it a go.
The main drawback with e-readers is that they cant render pdfs properly
or at all. Sony and Amazon readers are proprietary format (they may do
pdf but I cant seem to confirm yay or nay).

Both the Amazon and Sony readers definitely can read PDFs amongst other formats. But due the size of the screens, some PDFs (especially if they've been published for larger page formats) can look a tad average. Not sure about the Amazon Kindle but I know that you can't read DRM'ed PDFs on the Sony PRS-500/505. [1]

With the Sony eReader, there is particularly good support via the open source program Calibre [2]. Looks like it has Linux, Windows and Mac OS X support.

1: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_Reader
2: http://calibre.kovidgoyal.net/