Quoting Sven Peters <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

VPNwise I was thinking about OpenVPN but still open to any other
products which are open source.

OpenVPN is pretty good in my opinion. Most of the other designs (poptop) are implementations/copies of PPTP which is a proprietory format.

I've used OpenVPN successfully with Samba and whilst there are perphaps some delays it is still pretty useful.

I had already a look at http://lartc.org/howto/ and got some ideas but
it'll still be a lot of work to put together all the scripts.

True. There is always some script work to be done.

I personally have been a bit lazy/distracted with my project lately and have some time to inject in this sort of thing again soon.

Also, I have some overseas programmers in Europe who love challenges that are thrown at them. (I reward them by giving them financially challenged projects :-) )

As it isn't such an uncommon problem I was wondering if somebody else
has a similar setup and likes to exchange experiences, ideas and
pitfalls. You can reach me off list.

Trick with VPNs is to do them incrementally. ie:

 - start with making the connection

 - "extend" the network

 - add load-balancing

 - add configuration

 - add management

voila!

final thing:

 - get your friends all over the world to share (home-made) movies
   and mp3 recordings from their band.....

just joking.....  I actually hate it when they do that.... :-(

David