"Voytek Eymont" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> On Fri, July 18, 2008 9:44 am, Daniel Pittman wrote:
>> "Voytek Eymont" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

G'day Voytek.

>> "PREFIX" is a "meta-variable", which means "whatever path you want to
>> install the software to."
>>
>> So, in the case of installing to /opt your path would be "/opt/include";
>> for /usr "/usr/include", etc.
>>
>> Two questions, though:
>>
>> 1. Are you sure your distribution doesn't offer a package of the GC
>> library that is suitable?
>>
>> 2. Are you sure you don't want to update the package yourself rather
>> than hand-installing the software?
>
> yes, I'd rather update and get a package, but, not quite sure
> how/where/what...

Well, for RPM based distributions my personal preference is to use the
'rpmforge' distribution.  See the CentOS wiki for some notes on how to
do this safely and effectively.

http://wiki.centos.org/AdditionalResources/Repositories/RPMForge

However, like any third party repository of packages you will need to
form a judgement on how much you like and trust them.

(Also, don't assume that I have any basis other than habit for my
 selection of that repository. :)

Regards,
        Daniel