Grant Parnell wrote:
Er... this machine theoretically can't be running!

Platform, Ubuntu Hardy Server x86-64.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~# cat /proc/partitions
major minor  #blocks  name

   9     0     104320 md0
   9     1   15631168 md1
   9     2    4891712 md2
   9     3     987840 md3
   9     4     987840 md4
   9     5    1959808 md5
   9     6  463820544 md6
   8    32  156290904 sdc
   8    33  156288352 sdc1
[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~# cat /proc/mdstat
Personalities : [linear] [multipath] [raid0] [raid1] [raid6] [raid5] [raid4] [raid10]
md6 : active raid1 sdb8[1]
      463820544 blocks [2/1] [_U]

md5 : active raid1 sdb7[1]
      1959808 blocks [2/1] [_U]

md4 : active raid1 sda6[0] sdb6[1]
      987840 blocks [2/2] [UU]

md3 : active raid1 sda5[0] sdb5[2](F)
      987840 blocks [2/1] [U_]

md2 : active raid1 sda3[0] sdb3[1]
      4891712 blocks [2/2] [UU]

md1 : active raid1 sda2[0] sdb2[1]
      15631168 blocks [2/2] [UU]

md0 : active raid1 sda1[0] sdb1[1]
      104320 blocks [2/2] [UU]

unused devices: <none>
[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~#

Just to follow up on this, it did get worse!
By the time we got to the customer's site to look at it essentially both drives had gone awol. Even the BIOS did not report them present. Strangely when I took the system home last night I didn't have that problem. We measured the juice on-site and it varied from 190V to 247V AC yet their other computers didn't complain.

There's some anomalies in the attached and commented log extract though.
In particular, even though we didn't change ATA ports (although I may have swapped the two drives between the ports we did use). Yesterday we were getting errors on ata3: and ata4: and yet later it was on ata2: so WTF is with that?

Plus... so far on every SATA system I've got I've had SATA errors of SOME kind and things keep running normally so I'm finding it hard to tell what's of concern and what's not.

Anyway hopefully some SATA guru can tell me down the track.

For those that want a look at how a raid array dies view the attached file with zless.