On Sun, Sep 07, 2008 at 07:06:08PM +0930, Glen Turner wrote:
> Kyle wrote:
>> Ok,

[snip]

>  - use jumbo frames (9000B packet > 8KB disk block, so very efficient)

I noticed a lot of people have talked about using large >1500 frames,
usually >9k.

I had been using jumbo frames for +8 months and I had found it
beneficial. But since using 2.6.25 (and now 2.6.26), I have been getting
a lot of kernel memory allocation errors, I have been told they where
order 2 and not to worry about them. Cause of fragmented swap space (and
some other description that I can't remember right now, but the jist
being not to worry). I had found that the system behaved a bit
slowly/differently after these events.  usually brought on by high
network load, moving around 40-300G of files, either with scp or nfs.

Since turning off jumbo frames - moving back to standard mtu I have not
had these ooop's.

My question to the list is, do the people who use jumbo frames have you
been seeing these errors.

2 of the servers were using forcedeth and I rtl8168B (using the realteck
driver).  At sites where I haven't used large mtu I have seen the
problem.

My setup for large mtu, is me just changing the mtu for the interface.
I am guessing there is a leak somewhere.  Another hicup for this site is
it is a mixed mtu site (that fun), I have had to hand code all the
relevant mtu and place them in the routing table with ip r add for ipv4
and ipv6.

alex

[snip]

> --
>  Glen Turner
> --

"Free societies are hopeful societies. And free societies will be allies
against these hateful few who have no conscience, who kill at the whim of a
hat."

        - George W. Bush
09/17/2004
Washington, DC