Kyle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Daniel Pittman wrote:
>> Kyle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>>
>>> I've been looking for a WINE front end to run some MS
>>> apps. (specifically MYOB, but others as well)
>>
>> When you say "front end", what are you thinking of?
>>
>> I ask because my Ubuntu system works exactly as I would expect:
>> running the MYOB installer through Wine installed the software and
>> added the "Start Menu" folders and icons into the KDE "Wine" menu.
>>
> As I understand it, things like playonlinux add a user-friendliness
> form of GUI which makes WINE simpler to configure and install,

Simpler than using the existing tools supplied with your distribution to
install the supported software packages?  I would be surprised.

> whilst at the same time you still have access to the underlying
> aspects of WINE if you want.

Again, I don't really understand what you mean.  Wine doesn't really
have "underlying aspects" in any meaningful sense -- it isn't like you
get a dozen separate utilities to run.

You just, you know, run 'wine example.exe'[1] and it works.

> If WINE is complete, why do further applications which sit on top of
> it exist?

Good question.  Again, this depends on what /you/ mean be "complete", in
that I can't answer your question because wine is, so far as I can tell,
functional and complete.

> My current understanding is that I'm likening playonlinux (and such
> apps) is to WINE just as GKrellm is to lm_sensors.
>
> Is this incorrect?

I think so, in that your question seems to carry the same assumption as
before: that wine is somehow "deficient", "incomplete" or "broken" as
shipped, and that third party solutions are required to provide a GUI
front end to do ... something.

I still don't know what that something is, though, and I am having
trouble even imagining what it could possibly be.

Now, if you had talked about, for example, commercial support for
Microsoft Office, or better support for Windows games[2], then this
would have made sense.

Talking about a "user friendly GUI" to something that doesn't really
have a command line, as such, doesn't make much sense though.

Regards,
        Daniel

Footnotes:
[1]  ... or double-click on the executable in your file manager.

[2]  At least for a while some of the non-free branches of wine had
     better support for this.  I don't know if that is still true.