2008/10/9 Phill O'Flynn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> Hi everyone
> I am running a fedora server and currently using hosts.allow to
> only allow ssh accesses from specific ip addresses. I did this because I was
> getting
> a lot of idiots from eastern Europe and Russia tring to crack my server.
>
> This has been ok  but now is prooving to be too restrictive. Can I get the
> server to force certificate based logins only?? If so how do I do it?? Is
> this the
> best approach anyway??

In debian based systems it's done by editing /etc/ssh/sshd_config to
disable password auth
I imagine that Fedora would be very similar... see:
http://www.debuntu.org/ssh-key-based-authentication-p3

There was a good thread arguing ssh protection measures a few months
back on debian-security:
http://www.nabble.com/What-to-do-about-SSH-brute-force-attempts--tt19090071.html#a19090071

cheers,
Owen.