On Mon, Oct 27, 2008 at 11:38:15PM +1100, david wrote:
> When I run vmware-config.pl I get the following warning message:
>
> Your kernel was built with "gcc" version "4.2.3", while you are trying to use
> "/usr/bin/gcc" version "4.2.4".
>
> What version am I running? Should I care? vmware-config.pl gives dire
> warnings about impending crashes, although I've found two posts on the
> net suggesting that I can bypass the warning.

It's warning you because different versions of gcc *might* do things
like layout structures differently, meaning the newly built modules
*might* get a wrong offset and end-up poking around where they're not
supposed to (i.e. ABI compatability).

The results could be from nothing at all to all hell breaking loose.
However, for a minor version bump like this it is very unlikely
anything like that changed in gcc, so you should be fine.

If you want to be really sure, re-compile your kernel with the gcc on
your system now.

-i